A ONE-0F-A-KIND OFFERING: HISTORICALLY
SIGNIFICANT, EARLY 1800s DROVERS TAVERN IN CAZENOVIA, NY
The sale of 4065 Pompey Hollow Road
in Cazenovia, New York presents discerning real estate purchasers
with the rare opportunity to own a treasured piece of American history,
and a property of great historic significance and pedigree just
12 miles east of Syracuse. Cultivated buyers seeking a private oasis,
functional farm, and an excellent place to raise a family in a classic
period home, or those with a unique interest in history, preservation
An Historic Icon. Situated on 114
sprawling, picturesque acres of land, Drovers Tavern has changed
hands several times over the centuries but has remained prized and
cherished. Though a small portion of the historic brick Colonial
was built earlier, the main portion was initially constructed circa
1818-1820 by Colonel James Stanley, Jr., who owned the property
until 1836. From that time until 1859 when Noah Palmer acquired
it, the property had several owners, but for the most part was used
as an overnight stopping place for early cattlemen who in those
days had to drive their herds to the New York market on foot, as
the Erie Canal and commercial railroads were not yet built.
Not only did hospitality need to
be provided for the drovers (hence the sign on the front of the
inn, “Entertainment for Travelers and Drovers” that
still remains), but provision had to be made for the necessary care
of the animals, with barns, corrals and pastures, etc. for the stock.
This working farm has not only been the breeding ground for many
kinds of livestock, but has supported plentiful crops including
apple orchards. Drovers Tavern was also a popular gathering spot
for the surrounding countryside, with dances often underway in the
huge second floor hall.
In 1929, Melville and Dorothy Clark
took ownership of Drovers Tavern. The Clark family was noteworthy
in many regards, with a well-known family business, Clark Music,
makers of the Clark Irish Harp, which was in existence in Syracuse
from 1859 until 2012. Melville Clark’s uncle Melville achieved
fame as the inventor of the Apollo player piano, and both men held
numerous patents, as did Melville Clark, Jr., a physicist working
on the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos, New Mexico. The house was
filled with antiques as well as the harps and pianos built by the
family, creating a musical-inspired ambiance that promoted industrious
and inventive thought. This property could certainly make an ideal
personal harp and player piano museum, among many other attractive
possibilities. The Clarks also ran the property as a working farm
through the Depression era.
A Home of Distinction. With respect
to its integrity, the Clarks honored the tradition of the home by
carefully restoring it without significantly altering its original
character. The current owners who bought Drovers Tavern in 1979
have lovingly done the same, while installing thoughtful upgrades
including a new roof to ensure luxury and longevity.
The U.S. Department of Interior
and NYS Historic Preservation Field Service Bureau donned this esteemed
relic as “…an outstanding and highly intact representation
of vernacular Federal-style architecture in Onondaga County, New
York.” … “The Tavern is additionally significant
under criterion A for its associative value in illustrating the
growth and settlement patterns characteristic of central New York
following the conclusion of the American Revolution.”
The Department of the Interior photographed
and documented the property in 1934 in recognition of that significance,
and the photos can be found in the Library of Congress Archives.
Designed for Living. The expansive
two-story home – configured with 4 bedrooms and an office
on the second level plus two and a half baths – welcomes you
into an excellent condition foyer that proudly displays the original
signage for the Tavern. Extensive woodwork, - three working fireplaces
and a gas burning wood stove including a configuration with Dutch
oven and other prized period elements grace the spacious interior
that is a stunning statement of rustic charm and refined elegance.
Formal living and dining rooms invite entertaining, while a beautifully-crafted
open concept kitchen with wood beamed ceilings and huge picture
windows offers a well-equipped and comfortable setting for meal
Gatherings can easily spill out
to the generously-proportioned elevated decking overlooking the
elaborate pool facility, pristine landscaping, enchanting gazebo
and stone patio. The second story that houses the large master bedroom
can also accommodate a substantial number of people, with doors
that extend the space into a ballroom.
The stretching exterior grounds
provide a backdrop of beauty and peacefulness, which can be savored
from the numerous private outdoor spaces including the gazebo, and
by the magical pool. The property also contains an impeccable-condition
three level carriage house to accommodate three cars and a large
two story multi-use barn.
Drovers Tavern is conveniently located midway between Cazenovia
and Manlius, 12 miles east of Syracuse, NY. The owners are enthusiastic
to sell the property to the next steward of this important historical
Drovers Tavern is located
midway between Cazenovia and Manlius 12 miles east of Syracuse,
NY. It is situated on 114 acres of land. The main portion of the
house was built 1818-1820. And a smaller portion was built ~ 1803.
It is currently configured with 4 bedrooms and an office on the
2nd level with two full baths. And it has a half bath on the first
level. It has five working fireplaces including an early configuration
with Dutch oven and period implements.
It has an open kitchen concept that leads out to extensive elevated
decking over looking an elaborate pool facility, landscaping, gazebo
and stone patio.
There are two barns. The horse barn has been reconfigured to accommodate
two cars. The cow barn was built ~ 1940 as replacement for original
According to the US Department
of Interior and NYS Historic Preservation Field Service Bureau paperwork:
Drovers Tavern is an “.....outstanding and highly intact representation
of vernacular Federal-style architecture in Onondaga County, New
York.” “...The Tavern is additionally significant under
criterion A for its associative value in illustrating the growth
and settlement patterns characteristic of central New York following
the conclusion of the American Revolution.” The Department
of the Interior photographed and documented the property in 1934
in recognition of that significance and the photos can be found
in the Library of Congress Archives.
Historical summary: The main portion of the house was built 1818-1820
by Colonel James Stanley Jr. Who held the property until 1836. There
were a half dozen owners between 1836 and 1859 when Noah Palmer
acquired it. In 1929 Melville and Dorothy Clark purchased the property
and the family held it until 1979 when it was sold to the current
It is reported that the property had been used as a Travelers and
Drovers Tavern likely up until about 1859. It appears that use may
have started ~ 1836.
The Clark family, noteworthy
for the family business Clark Music, makers of the Clark Irish Harp,
in Syracuse from 1859 until 2012 used it as a homestead/working
farm to supplement their music business which struggled during the
depression. Melville Clarks uncle also named Melville was the inventor
of the Apollo Player piano. He had numerous patents credited to
him as did the property owner Melville Clark and so did Melville
Clark Jr. who went on to become a Physicist working on the Manhattan
Project in Los Alamos New Mexico.
was resourceful but not immune to the ravages of the depression
era. The farm assured the family had food to eat.
The house was filled with antiques as well as the Harps and pianos
built by the family. It is a musical place that promoted industrious
and inventive thought. The Clarks also ran the property as a working
farm thru the Depression era and beyond raising beef cattle, milk
cows, horses, goats and chickens. They also gew cord and oats and
The property is in a convenient location easily commutable to Syracuse.
It is a functional farm and a great place to raise a family in a
classic period home of historical significance.
The Clarks honored the tradition of the home by carefully restoring
it without altering significantly its original character. The current
owner since 1979 has done the same.
The property has supported many crops including apple orchards.
All kinds of livestock has been bred and raised there. It is a classic
I think it also would make for a great personal Harp and Player
It is a place for cultivated persons with interest in history and
preservation, music and family.
We are looking for the next steward of this important piece of American
The house and barns reside
on 6.3 acres depicted in blue. There is additional 107.91 acres.
here for zoomable PDF of this survey
Satellite Tax map